Covid infection in children and the third wave is milder in children because they don’t have many comorbidities like diabetes, COPD, cancer, hypertension, heart disease, etc. compared to that of the adults.
Common symptoms of infection in children
- Mild cough
- Mild body pain
- Abdominal pain
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Increased heart beat
- Bloodshot eyes
- Neck pain
- Cracked lips
- Swollen hands of feet
- Unusual sleepiness or weakness
Severe illness of Covid infection in children and the third wave
- Children who have a pre-existing major disease have higher chances of risk to get covid infection and the third wave leading to severe illness such as a heart, liver, kidney disease, or malignancies.
- Children with asthma or chronic lung disease, diabetes, immunosuppression, obesity, and sickle cell disease, might also have covid infection during the third wave.
- Parents should monitor the progression of illness closely to make sure the covid infection in children and the third wave does not develop or make the condition severe for the covid infected children and the third wave.
Vital strategies to treat covid infected children during the third wave
- Many children are contracting Covid infection which may continue during the third wave also. It is imperative for children to carefully understand what their parents are saying. They should follow the usual precautions like wearing the mask, using the hand sanitizer, and talking with the other children or family members by maintaining a social distance of 6 feet. Avoid surrounding yourself with sick people and try to cover the mouth while coughing and sneezing.
- If any of the family members get symptoms of Covid-19 like mild cough, fever, or body pain isolate yourself from the children, or else you may get infected with the virus.
- Remember to disinfect the frequently touched surfaces by children like the handles, doorknobs, faucets, including the furniture.
- Make your children eat a well-balanced diet which has all the essential nutrients to boost their immunity by including fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid junks, oily, salty and sugary processed foods that can affect your child’s immunity.
- Do not venture out with your children in bustled places. Limit the number of allowed visitors at home. Try to keep your children occupied by engaging them in several activities like painting, dancing, or gardening and exercising to help them stay healthy and hearty.
What has to be done if the Covid infection in children gets worse during the third wave?
Keep checking the temperature of the child from time to time. If the fever persists or prolongs for more than four days, where the child is fatigued, unable to eat, and faces difficulty in urinating, just consult the doctor immediately and admit him/her to the hospital. Even if the child undergoes breathing difficulties, make sure to rush him/her to the hospital as it can be a sign of covid infection in children and the third wave where essential steps have to be taken with more caution.
How will a Covid infected child be given treatment during the third wave?
According to the recent reports, children with a mild infection are preferred to be treated in home quarantine, where they are recommended for symptomatic treatment with paracetamol. But if the symptoms are life-threatening and continue to progress creating serious complications, it is crucial to seek medical help.
The ward will be structured in such a way to allow an attendant to take care of the child. Also, the doctors, nurses, and medical staff will be well-trained to handle the covid infection in children and the third wave disproportionately has a greater impact on children besides providing specialized treatment.